Date(s) - 03/11/2017
9:30 am - 4:30 pm
CPD Hours six
This day is for therapists and students from a variety of modalities who see couples and individuals with sexual difficulties. A Sensate Focus programme consists of a series of exercises set by the therapist and can be a blunt instrument when blindly applied. On the other hand, a sensitively designed programme can enable the therapist to engage in a truly creative therapeutic process with the client.
The aims of this course are:
- To clarify when the use of a Sensate Focus programme might be appropriate and what contra-indications need consideration
- To explore the Sensate Focus framework and identify those aspects which are essential and those which are not
- To develop creative interventions when working with particular clients which enable them to enhance their sexual style
- To consider other interventions which can be woven in with a Sensate Focus programme
When considering working with a Sensate Focus programme the delegate will be able to:
- Identify suitable cases, assess the readiness of the client to commence the programme and the appropriate point in the programme to begin work
- Take the Sensate Focus framework as a starting point for a creative engagement with the client
- Recognise when psychodynamic issues are raised by the cognitive behavioural work
- Use feedback from the client in order to deepen understanding and develop the next stages of treatment
09:30 – Registration and Coffee
10.00 – Introduction
10.15 – What is Sensate Focus and when is it useful? And when will it not be useful?
10.30 – An overview of the Sensate Focus framework
10.45 – Rationale for an integrated psychodynamic/cognitive behavioural approach
11.00 – Part 1 Self Focus
11.45 – Coffee
12.00 – Part 2 Re-connecting the couple
13.00 – Lunch
14.00 – Part 3 Developing the sexual relationship
15.00 – Case vignettes
15.45 – Tea
16.00 – Discussion and review of day
16.30 – Close
Presented by Jane Seymour MA, COSRT Accred, UKCP Reg.
Following an early career as a stage manager Jane spent two years as a Childline counsellor. As a result of this experience she decided that she wanted to work with parents and couples. In 1996 she qualified as a couple counsellor with the London Marriage Guidance Council. Jane subsequently trained as a psychosexual therapist and went on to complete an MA in Psychoanalytic Studies. Following the transfer of London Marriage Guidance to the Tavistock Centre for Couple Relationships she became the first Programme Head for the MSc in Psychosexual and Relationship Therapy. She has stepped down from this role but continues her involvement with TCCR as a trainer and supervisor. Jane believes it is important that therapists are trained to be comfortable, well informed and creative when working with the sexual relationship. She would like to see psychosexual therapy more widely available and easily accessible to clients. Recently, on behalf of TCCR, Jane has delivered the Certificate in Psychosexual Studies for therapists in Turkey. She has also visited Stockholm to lecture on the subject of psychosexual assessment and presented training for a range of organizations including Relate, BUPA, the Academy of Live and Dramatic Arts and the Royal Shakespeare Company. She works as a therapist and supervisor in private practice in South London.
Terms and Conditions
The full fee for each training day is £115 for COSRT members and £125 for non-members. Cheques should be made payable to COSRT in GB pounds sterling. Payment must be received by COSRT before the training day. Confirmation and details of your booking will be emailed to you.
Cancellations must be made in writing. There is an administrative charge of £20 per person for cancellations received up to six weeks prior to the training day. Thereafter no refund is possible. To substitute a delegate please call the COSRT office (020 8543 2707) at least seven days prior to the event.
COSRT reserves the right to change the venue or speakers due to unforeseen circumstances. In the unlikely event of a training day being cancelled, a full refund will be made, but COSRT disclaims any further liability.